Saturday, March 28, 2015

I Object!

What would happen if someone actually did say, "Yes", when the officiate in a marriage ceremony spoke the words, "If there is anyone here who feels these two should not be joined, speak now or forever hold your peace." I find myself, for the first time in my life, feeling very strongly that I want to speak up and say, "Yes", to that question at my niece's wedding happening in early May. Nobody feels she should be marrying this guy, but no one, including her father, will speak up.

She would be hurt and probably never speak to me again. If I can stop this marriage, is that such a bad thing? She may get over it when she realizes the mistake she is making. But is it right to try to protect her from her own choice? She may marry him anyway. They may run away and get married. Or, will they? Support or sabotage: those are the choices I am contemplating at the moment.

I am currently supporting her choice, and am directly involved in coordinating the event; even hosting a bridal shower for her. I convinced her father that even though he objects, she'll do it anyway, and we have to support her. Or do we? I can't get away from this idea of answering that question nobody ever answers in the ceremony. Should I just take my own advice and keep silent?

No comments:

Post a Comment